Missouri Area Al-Anon History
The earliest Missouri Group to register with the New York Clearing House, now the World Service Office, was the # 1 Troost Group in Kansas City. Although we do not know the actual year it was formed, we gleaned this information from a 1962 letter from the World Service Office, inviting Missouri to send a Delegate for the first time to the World Service Conference during the coming year. This letter was sent to the oldest registered Missouri group – the Kansas City Troost group. The first group to write to New York for information on how to register their group was in Malden, Missouri, in January 1955.
- By the end of 1955, Missouri had 5 groups listed with the New York Clearing House.
- Our state newsletter, the Round Robin, started publication in August 1963.
- First Missouri Area Assembly was held in October 1963, in St. Louis.
- First Delegate to attend the World Service Conference in New York was Eugene M. in 1964.
- First Convention was held in March 1968, in Springfield, after which it moved around the State. Beginning in 2022, Convention will be held each September at Old Kinderhook in Camdenton.
- No record of first Alateen group but by 1965 there were 5 Missouri Alateen groups in the World Directory – two in Kansas City, two in St. Louis, and one in Branson.
- First Missouri Alateen Roundup was in February 1975 at the Ramada Inn in Columbia.
- First Area Alateen workshop (now called Super Sunday) was held in July 1978 at Charles Still Hospital in Jefferson City. Twelve Alateen groups attended, and most of the Area Officers.
- First Area “Day in Service” held in September 1999 at Charles Still Hospital in Jefferson City.
Missouri Al-Anon Convention History